Monday, May 14, 2007

WTF is a doughty girl?

Well, if you slur it just right, or say it fast enough, it makes us dirty girls. If you're feeling mopey or melancholy, you can be a doubty girl with not enough motivation to pronounce the "b." And if you're feeling grammatically accurate, you can look it up on dictionary.com and find that it was yesterday's "word of the day," because today's kinda sucked and I needed a blog name.

doughty \DOW-tee\, adjective:Marked by fearless resolution; valiant; brave.

Feeling fearless?

I'm feeling lazy. And I want to fix that. So please feel free to jump on in and join me -- it's 73 degrees outside, there's no excuse for this laziness... not too hot, not too cold... just too busy, usually.

But I'm also feeling inspired. A popular woman's magazine (by "woman's magazine," I mean the type whose target audience is NOT me, but rather a stay at home mom whose goals include emulating both Martha Stewart and Lance Armstrong) ... anyway, that popular woman's magazine currently has a "challenge" issued asking people to walk 75 miles over the next four months -- in intervals as small as 4 miles a week, which breaks down to as little as 5-10 minutes a day. Ha. I can totally do that. And I'm inviting you to do it with me. Not literally, for those with whom I barely manage to maintain long distance e-communication... but figuratively speaking. Need motivation to exercise? Me, too. Help!!

C'mon. It'll be fun. And then we can post whiny posts and comments here to keep each other going. I'll post the first week's goal sheet as a separate post. On your mark, get set...

7 comments:

little ineb said...

today: I walked almost an hour on lunch. My new goal is to walk every day too (as I am cancelling my gym membership today). So I either need to walk on lunch or after work. Reminding me that even 5 minutes is better than nothing is good to do. Teach me how to "sign up" and I can post every day/week too :)

Hearts to you!

Anonymous said...

I personally prefer to drop the "t" and read it as doughy girls.

1. "Dough" sounds nicer than "fat".
2. I used to LOVE using the little playdough extruder to make pretend pasta and other fun things as a kid.
3. MMMM...donuts.

But mostly, since walking makes me think of pasta and donuts, I really need this challenge.

LOL

RevAaronD said...

That is totally brilliant. I should join y'all. I can walk for five minutes a day! Although, hm. While, I am often doubty, sometimes dowdy, a little dirty, definitely doughy, and in desperate need of becoming doughty, I am not, in fact a girl.

Oh, who am I kidding? Ask little ineb; I'm almost as much a girl as her boyfriend.

-Aaron

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try my hardest to be in. It's just the time that I'm worried about. I'll TRY!!! :) But I'm in.

Roll The Dice said...

Ooh! I wanna play too! I just saw your blog from Erica's link, and though I thought I would just collapse on the couch after being in the car all day, I read your entry and thought...5 minutes! I can SO do that!

So I just got back from a 30 minute walk. Yay me!

And yay you for motivating me!

I find I'm not so good at motivating myself, but if it becomes a group activity to keep me accountable, I think I'll be better and moving ye olde bod.

So, can I play too? :-)

Liz said...

I'm game. I'm not so good about walking by myself, hopefully a group will help!

Jenn said...

Count me in. I've got my new lifestyle diet down great. I just need the exercise to drop the last 10 or pounds. (I've lost 23 since Nov.)