Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fifteen Minute Chicken Chili

This place just keeps getting better and better. Doesn't hurt that my current alternative is working on my performance appraisal. We've been capped at a whopping 2.5% increase this year. That's just not worth the b.s. self-evaluation involved. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll put my pissy pants away and share my recent favorite.

Fifteen Minute Chicken Chili

Quick and healthy, so for me, it's the best of both worlds. Not so seasonal, but delicious just the same and makes some fantastic leftovers. Great with corn bread, too.

My modifications from the original recipe:
  • I use a store bought rotisserie chicken and shred it because it delivers a better texture and cuts down on prep time.
  • I don't necessarily worry about the low-sodium/no salt aspects because it's still quite healthy even without it. But if you have BP issues, this is for you.
  • I add more of the spices than they instruct because this recipe as is, was a little bland to me. But I may be a little more tolerant of spice than most since Phil tends to drown everything in hot sauce or red pepper flakes. :)
  • It can actually take more than 15 minutes if you want it to. The longer the spices simmer, the more flavorful it gets. You could even, in the spirit of this whole thing, throw it all in the pot, and then take your walk while it simmers. Now that's multi-tasking. Just don't blame me if you burn your house down.

3 comments:

Harmony said...

Oh yeah. And the groceries for this can come in under $10 if you do it right. It makes a big pot. So at 4 - 6 servings, that's some cheap good food.

Roll The Dice said...

I just ransacked my cupboards, and put a pot of chicken chili on the stove - thanks for the suggestion! :-)

I heart rotisserie chicken! :-)

Harmony said...

Fantastic! I love cupboards!

How did it turn out for you?